iOS 7, the new OS by Apple for your iPhone, iPad and iPod. Currently it’s still in beta and is not going to be released to the public until the fall. However, for those of you who don’t have a Developers Account and aren’t able to look into the new OS themselves, here are what some of the new designs look like.
Take note, iOS 7 is currently in beta (only for the iPhone) so some of this may look different when it’s out of beta and actually released.
General Overall Look
When I first saw iOS 7 in the Keynote, I wasn’t to sure what to think of the new graphical interface. Everything was either to colorful and then other times to white.
And the icons looked like something that was whipped up in a couple of seconds each. I mean look at the calendar app icon. It’s a plain white background with nothing but red text saying the day and then black text saying the date. This somewhat holds true for a large majority of the icons. If you’ve ever messed with Photoshop, Pixelmator or any graphic design app with layering capabilities then you know that most of those icons could be created in less than a minute each.
Take the Messages icon for instance, create a simple square box, throw a green gradient on it, then just drop a white callout shape on top.
Just to prove it, here’s a messages icon that I made and only took around 1 minute, with very little effort. Created a round cornered square, added a green gradient, added the callout button.
That was my first impression, but not my most recent.
I’ve been using iOS 7 now for a couple of days, the look is starting to grow on me. I’m not super excited about it, but I like where they are going with the design, just not where they currently are. There is a good chance that some of the designs will change as the betas are released so I guess we’ll just have to see what Apple does.
Things I think are awesome
- I love the animations, they look amazing and are very smooth!
- Control Center is an improvement that you’d normally have to jailbreak your device for. Apple has done a good job of implementing it.
- The dynamic (animated) wallpaper looks very beautiful, and the way it moves around in the background while moving the iPhone looks nice.
- The new weather app looks great as well, with a lot of different animations that change with the weather.
- Siri looks a lot better, and his/her/its voice sounds a lot more human like.
- Love that I can now swipe to unlock from anywhere on the screen.
What’s your favorite feature? Let us know below in the comments.