The team at Evad3rs has released the jailbreak software for all devices running iOS 7. For those who’ve never jailbroken their iPhone, iPod or iPad before, jailbreaking opens your device up to a plethora of new features, functions and ability to customize its look and feel.
Most importantly however, you can turn your iPhone into working Gameboy. Yeah… Pokemon on your iPhone.
What to do before Jailbreaking
Before you Jailbreak your iOS device there are a few important things you should do first:
- Make sure you have the latest version of iOS 7 installed on your iOS device. Check your version by going to Setting -> General -> Software Update. Update if necessary.
- Backup your device first, either to iCloud or iTunes
- Disable the passcode on your device. This can be done by going to Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock – > “Turn Passcode Off”. Leaving the passcode on can cause errors while it’s being jailbroken.
- DO NOT sync your device with iTunes while the iOS device jailbreaking. It fact, do yourself a favour and close out iTunes to prevent it from deciding to sync by itself.
- If you get an error saying that Evasi0n can’t be opened, control-click (or right-click) the app and on the revealed context menu, choose ‘Open.’ On the ensuing dialogue box, choose ‘Open’ as well.
How to Jailbreak iOS 7
The process is incredibly easy and doesn’t take very long. None the less though I’ll walk you through the process.
Plug your iOS device into your computer and then head over to the Evad3rs website and download the free evasi0n7 jailbreak software.
Open the Evasi0n app and click the “Jailbreak” button. For the most part, the process is completely automated and doesn’t require you to do anything after clicking the Jailbreak button.
There is however one part in the process that will require you to unlock the iOS device and tap the Evasi0n 7 app icon. You’ll be notified by the Evasi0n software when you’re required to do so.
Also during the process, it may appear that the jailbreak progress has frozen. Be patient, this is normal, it could take anywhere from 5-10 minutes, let it do its thing.
If the jailbreaking process does actually freeze however, you can safely restart the device (hold the home and lock button until it restarts), and then simply re-run Evasi0n again once it’s restarted.
Once the jailbreak is complete Cydia will be accessible on your iOS device.