It’s finally here, a Jailbreak method for your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and iPad mini. This jailbreak supports iOS 6.0 – 6.1.2. This means that your iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPod 4, iPod 5, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4 and even the iPad mini can all be Jailbroken. And best of all, it’s free and incredibly easy to Jailbreak.
The brilliant developers over at Evad3rs have finally released their jailbreak for all devices running iOS 6 & iOS 6.0 – 6.1.2. Evad3rs calls their jailbreak “Evasi0n”.
For those that don’t know, jailbreaking your device opens it up to a multitude of new possibilities, from completely changing the look, adding avatars/faces to your contacts, even down to turning your device into a working Gameboy.
I have to commend the developers for making it so incredibly simple to Jailbreak. The entire process is pretty much carried out with the click of 1 button. The Evasi0n app automatically recognizes the device you have plugged into your computer, all that’s left is to click the “Jailbreak” button.
A few things to do before Jailbreaking
This of course all sounds great, but before you rush to the Evasi0n site there are a few thing you should do.
- Make sure you have iOS 6.0 – 6.1.2 installed on your iOS device. Check your version by going to Setting -> General -> About -> Version. Update if necessary.
- Backup your device first, either to iCloud or iTunes
- Disable the passcode on your device. This can be done by going to Settings -> General -> Passcode Lock – > “Turn Passcode Off”. Leaving the passcode on can cause errors.
- DO NOT sync your device with iTunes while you are Jailbreaking. It fact do yourself a favour and close out iTunes to prevent it from deciding to sync by itself.
- If you get an error on Mac OS X 10.8 saying that Evasi0n can’t be opened, control-click (or right-click) the app and on the revealed context menu, choose ‘Open.’ On the ensuing dialogue box, choose ‘Open’ as well.
Jailbreaking the iOS device
You really don’t need instructions to install it since it’s so simple, however I’ll include the steps anyways. Download the Evasi0n jailbreaking application, plug your device into your computer. Open Evasion, click the “Jailbreak” button. Through the process you may be asked by the app to open the Evasi0n app on your device to finalize everything.
Also during the process, it may appear that the jailbreak progress has frozen. Be patient, this is normal, it could take anywhere from 5-10 minutes, let it do its thing.
If the jailbreaking process does actually freeze however, you can safely restart the device (turn off then on), and then simply re-run Evasi0n again once it’s restarted.
Once the jailbreak is complete Cydia will be accessible on your iOS device.
The developers at Evad3rs no doubt worked really hard on this. Why not head over to their site and let them know you appreciate it. You can even send them a donation, I’m sure they’d really appreciate that.